Pittsburgh Business Times has compiled the statewide rankings of PSSA (Pennsylvania System of School Assessment Exams) test performance for the last six years. The PSSA results come from the Pennsylvania Department of Education website. Raw results can be found at www.pde.state.pa.us — click on ‘Data and Statistics, then ‘PSSA’. The survey ranks the 500 school districts in the state based on the PSSA performance. The rankings do not denote the overall quality and performance of the school district, only the PSSA scores.
Once again, for the sixth straight year, the Upper St. Clair School District in Allegany County (Pittsburgh suburbs) held on to its top spot as highest-scoring school district in Pennsylvania on state standardized tests.
There is good news for T/E School District – for the second year in a row, TESD landed No. 2 on the list of highest-scoring PSSA school districts. In the Philadelphia regions, in addition to TESD, four other school districts are in the top 10 in terms of performance. Here are those results:
- Tredyffrin-Easttown School District in Chester County (No. 2)
- Unionville-Chadds Ford School District in Chester County (No. 3)
- Radnor Township School District in Delaware County (No. 4)
- Lower Merion School District in Montgomery County (No 7)
- Central Bucks School District in Bucks County (No. 8)
Neighboring Great Valley School District in Chester County was listed as No. 13 on the list. Downingtown School District’s PSSA performance is No. 28. Upper Merion School District in Montgomery County is No. 68. Phoenixville School District in Chester County was listed as No. 68 in 2010 and dropped to No. 85 on the PSSA performance list.
Looking at the bottom of the performance list, I was curious to see if any Philadelphia region school districts were on the list. Interesting to note the following:
- Pottstown School District in Montgomery County (No. 461)
- Norristown School District in Montgomery County (No. 475)
- Philadelphia School District in Philadelphia County (No. 484)
- William Penn School District in Delaware County (No. 488)
- Chester-Upland School District in Delaware County (No. 496)